HTTP: vs HTTPSJul 14, 2019 | Reading Time: 3 minutes
HTTP and HTTPS are protocols that are being used to transmit data across the internet between websites. HTTP stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol, while the addition of the ‘S’ in HTTPS means it is a secure connection. As a website owner, you probably ask: “Is HTTPS necessary?” In order to have a better understanding of these two protocols and why they are important to Google, it is important to first learn the difference between HTTP and HTTPS. Below explains the basics of these two options:
What is HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)?
HTTP is a system for conveying and accepting the information through the internet. This protocol is being labeled as an “application layer tool” that alternatively, means that it only cares about how the information is represented to the user, not how it is delivered from point A to point B.
Furthermore, the HTTP protocol is considered “stateless”. This means that it does not aim to recall any information preceding a web session.
What is HTTPS (Secure HyperText Transfer Protocol)?
HTTPS is also known as “secure HTTP”. It was developed to allow authorization and to have strong online security. Not using HTTPS means unsecured online transactions for the users. Sharing confidential information online must be secured to prevent unauthorized access, and that is what HTTPS exactly do. Technically, HTTP and HTTPS work almost the same, they both establish a connection to a server on a standard port. However, the difference is, HTTPS offers an extra layer of security because it uses SSL in order to move data.
HTTPS works in partnership with another protocol, SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), in order to transport data safely.
Importance of HTTPS in SEO
Obviously, Google prefers to rank websites that have HTTPS protocols because of its security and confidentiality features. The following are some of the top reasons why HTTPS is an important part of your overall SEO strategy.
1. Increased rankings – Google itself has confirmed that HTTPS websites get a boost in search ranking and be the default to online searchers. For webmasters, the key will be to ensure that they have properly implemented SSL certificates to provide the best possible experience and avoid a drop in search rankings.
2. Faster browsing – Most web browsers support HTTPS, which provides an enhancement over the traditional HTTP version of websites. When HTTPS is enabled, online users will experience faster browsing speed, which is a major ranking factor to Google, as well as data encryption.
3. Referral Data – The website traffic coming from your HTTPS server are preserved as secure referral sources. Traditionally, when using analytics software, traffic passing through an HTTP server appeared as direct traffic.
Obviously, switching from HTTP to HTTPS will help you maintain a good relationship with Google. Additionally, a reputable SEO company in Dubai says that browsers are now evolving to handle HTTPS connections at improved load speed. By all evidence, HTTPS will be the future for web clients and prolonging the inevitable may harm your SEO in the long run.
If you want to discuss more about the importance of HTTPS and how can you implement this to your website, you are in the right place! Creativo can help you establish an HTTPS version of your site and get your website secured! You can get in touch with us at email@example.com.
- Future of E-commerce Website Development: Trends and Predictions
- Importance of Local SEO for Small Businesses
- What is Web Application Security and How Does It Work?
- Key Differences between GA4 vs Universal Analytics
- 5 Important Steps When Developing an Ecommerce Website
- Pros and Cons of Using AI-Generated Content for SEO
- Back to Blog Listing