Online Marketing: The Local AlgorithmJan 2, 2020 | Reading Time: 2 minutes
Internet marketing through the implementation of SEOcontinues to evolve as one of the most effective digital marketing channels. As search engines consider the unique needs of every user, the techniques that were previously effective could end up receiving less emphasis as new search algorithms prioritize mobile and local content.
Google constantly updates its search engine algorithms. These updates make changes to the way the websites are ranked within the search results. They can be damaging to rankings for some websites and may cause webmasters to be penalized for something that Google has considered as a new guideline with the updates.
Why Local SEO Matters?
Nowadays, the majority of people find a business by searching online. It is estimated that 46% of all Google searches have local intent. In its development process of making its search engine valuable and meaningful, Google has invested in local search concepts and often rolls out a local algorithm update in order to return the most relevant results for its users. This is beneficial for small businesses who want to advertise their business in a geographically defined radius, anchored to their business location. Naturally, you want your business to be included in the result returned in a search query, inputted by a user looking for products and services you offer in the area.
With the right understanding of the logic, Google users can improve your ranking in Google’s list of search engine results.
Top Local Optimization Tips
- Backlinks are still the key – For all the changes to Google algorithm over the years, backlinks remain one of the important ranking factors. Backlinks have long been the foremost strategy for SEO, and this is no different for local businesses.
- Google My Business Listings – Listing your business in Google My Business (GMB) means you have higher chances of ranking organically. Businesses with verified listings, active review pages, and supplemental content such as photos and operating hours perform better than those with less complete GMB profiles or none at all.
- Create Local Content – while writing about general topics may attract a wider audience, sometimes it is more important to focus your content on local or industry news to attract a local audience. You can be an authority in your industry by promoting local industry gatherings, news, and other informational content on your blog.
Online marketing, especially SEO, changes quite rapidly. You never know when Google will introduce new guidelines on its SERPs for local searches. So, it is important to always stay on top of local SEO. Reputable marketing agencies like Creativo are always on the lookout for any algorithm update in order to ensure ranking in SERPs. Get in touch with us today to discuss how we can get you – and keep you – competitive in the digital marketplace.
- Future of E-commerce Website Development: Trends and Predictions
- Importance of Local SEO for Small Businesses
- What is Web Application Security and How Does It Work?
- Key Differences between GA4 vs Universal Analytics
- 5 Important Steps When Developing an Ecommerce Website
- Pros and Cons of Using AI-Generated Content for SEO
- Back to Blog Listing